Monday, November 8, 2010

MO-Ments - November 8, 2010

In·spire- Verb - to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration.

This may come as a surprise, but I have never been one to enjoy distance running. I never enjoyed it as a spectator and certainly not as a participant. With a number of friends entering this year’s race (and with the help of my roommates 9:00 AM wakeup call of Spice Girls and other Mid-90s glam bands) I made my way up to Sessions on 73rd and 1st to partake in the Marathon festivities. With a Cowbell in one hand and a beer and "Way to Go … Timmy Co" sign in the other, I spent the afternoon cheering on runners and brushing up on my Danish by shouting Vi Elsker "I Love You" to every running dawning the flag of Denmark(even with my horrible pronunciation I was able to steal a couple of fist pumps and winks from the Danish runners). The atmosphere and energy surrounding the event easily surpassed any NESCAC sporting event that I had attended (with the possible exception of the annual Old Rocking Chair Classic football game between Hamilton and Middlebury), and a friend of mine who had run the marathon compared the feeling of coming over the bridge to that of a National Championship game.

A big congratulations to Sean Delany, Timmy Cohan, Billy Haire, Kirk Jones, and Lizzie Gotimer for their accomplishments on Sunday. In particular I want to congratulate Delaney for being the fastest of the 9 Delaney's to register for this years Marathon edging out the next closest Delaney by 13 minutes with a time of 03:11:32, and to Timmy Co for beating former NY Giants WR Amani Toomer by nearly 45 minutes. I also want to credit the five runners mentioned above for inspiring me to get back on the horse (in this case the elliptical) and motivating me to do my best Tony Little impersonation at the gym tonight.

"You can't get back on that horse unless you fall off" -

Phil Dunphy


No comments:

Post a Comment